I have tried Pico-8, TIC-80, BITSY, Playdate PULP but GB Color is by far the best game development system for non programmers fo the following reasons :
- It uses PNG files so its easy to make art with any image editor
- Relation between rooms is displayed visually and easy to relate
- Sprite animations, dialogues, sprite interactions can all be made easily without programming
- Powerful variable use is also possible
- Less limitations and more colors than bitsy and PULP
- Extremely comprehensive sample projects
Of course it is not web based and it takes a bit of time to compile, it is not possible to edit the sprites pixel by pixel like in Bitsy and Pulp, but the advantage of using an external sprite editor overcomes this problem (though I would like a sprite editor at least as good as Playdate PULP integrated in GB Color. A web interface for creating games would be nice as well.
I took me some time to understand how to use the IDE though. Even though sample projects are nice you should have a 5 minutes tutorial on the top of this page showing how to create a simple character, 2 rooms, collision, and dialogue interaction so beginners would feel at home and those who want something a bit more powerful than Bitsy would understand they found it!